Monday, May 3, 2010

Mostly Meatless Monday

We strive to do a mostly meatless meal once a week, but it's a struggle. Tonight's menu:
Cous cous with carrots, raisins, cashews and green onions

Grilled asparagus (fat ones!) with olive oil and lemon juice (I usually splash on sherry vinegar, but I already had a lemon handy...)

Steamed broccolini with lemon juice

Leftover rosemary pork chop, sliced (optional)
No matter what I try, the kids won't eat cous cous - even though they love raisins and cashews and will tolerate carrots and green onions in other dishes. I think it's the texture. Fortunately, Liz likes it as much as I do, so cous cous is on a fairly regular rotation, especially in the summertime. This is my favorite preparation, with the carrots and raisins softened in a little butter, but not browned, and cashews and sliced scallions added after the cous cous has steamed. I often use chicken stock for the liquid, but tonight just went with water - really fresh tasting, sweet, nutty and oniony.

No comments:

Post a Comment