Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chicken Tawook

(I'm back in the kitchen, after a long weekend of leftovers, lavash pizzas, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and general mayhem. Nothing we've eaten since Friday has required more than 10 minutes to prepare, and we missed our usual Sunday farmers market, so we're running low on just about everything good.)

I thought I'd tackle something fun, but with a relatively short cooking time, and I had a couple of hours to myself this morning for shopping and prep. Chicken Tawook came to mind right away - it's tasty, needs only a few minutes on the grill, and goes well with rice or cous cous (comfort foods for me and Liz). I made the marinade this morning, and it seems just right - I followed the recipe almost exactly, adding only a little ground sumac berry, which I've been playing with in mid-eastern dishes.

I had to dust off the mortar & pestle to grind a little cardamom (the recipe only calls for 1/8 teaspoon, and I didn't think my spice grinder could make any headway with such a small amount). That reminded me that I've always wanted to try my hand at Toum, the amazing garlic sauce often served with Tawook. Keep your fingers crossed for me, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 comment:

  1. The Tawook came out well - I let it marinate for about five hours - and would have been even better if I'd had parsley on hand. I do think it needs a little extra zing, and I'll probably add a little harissa or sambal oolek chili paste to the marinade next time.

    The Toum was too garlicky for everyone but me. It's probably my own fault, though - the recipe calls for the juice of a whole lemon, but I stopped after squeezing in just half, afraid that the citrus taste would overwhelm the garlic. It didn't. I'll try it again....

    ReplyDelete