Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Menu

An all-request dinner for Liz:
Bacon-wrapped Filets Mignon
Grilled sweet onions
Tuscan potatoes
Sauteed spinach with garlic & fennel seeds
Grilled garlic bread
I'm not a big fan of filets - I much prefer something with a bit more fat, such as a rib-eye. These were terrific, though: the bacon added flavor, fat and protection from the flames.

After wrapping with bacon (secured by toothpicks), I gave them a liberal coating of my tri-wizard rub and left them on the counter for about 30 minutes. The steaks got about 4 minutes per side on a hot (500F) grill, then another two minutes off the flame, but still in the heat, until interior temps hit about 120F. I let them rest, loosely covered, for about 5 minutes while I made the spinach. The result: a nice crust, beautiful medium rare inside, tender and flavorful.

3 comments:

  1. I love a filet and I love bacon. Now if I could just get Lee to cook the two of them together for me.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried saying "please"? ;)

    I should have taken a picture - these were as gorgeous as they were delicious. They're really not difficult, either. The only trick is to insert the toothpick horizontally, so it doesn't poke out above the steak, and try to make sure you spear only the bacon. Couldn't have taken more than five minutes.

    ReplyDelete