Sunday, May 9, 2010

Pickles

I picked up some beautiful pickling cucumbers at the Downtown Farmers Market on Friday - firm, dark green, bumpy and just the right size for a quart mason jar. I wasn't smart enough to remember to buy dill, though, so I had to wait until today before getting them started.

My recipe is ridiculously simple: dump spices (peppercorns, mustard seed, coriander, red pepper flakes), vinegar, salt and garlic directly into clean jars. Cover, and shake, shake, shake to combine - the kids love helping with this part. Once the salt is dissolved, unscrew the caps, toss in a small handful of fresh dill, then wedge in the cukes, as tight as you can. I usually cut them in half, lengthwise, but you can leave them whole, or slice them into spears or chunks or whatever you like. Add cold water to cover, then throw them in the fridge. Twenty minutes, tops.

The hard part is waiting for them to cure - you'll need to leave them in the fridge for about a week, for best flavor. And it helps to take them out and shake them every day, just to make sure the brine is well distributed.

For your minimal effort (and a little patience), you'll be rewarded with crisp, tangy, fresh pickles. If you like 'em spicy, add more pepper flakes or slip in a couple of red peppers along with the cukes. I like a little extra garlic, too (who am I kidding? I like a lot of extra garlic).

One of my goals for this summer is to make naturally fermented pickles, without vinegar. I'll report back when I discover enough counter top.

4 comments:

  1. We are so making these next week! Emma loves pickles, so this should be fun. You are posting up a storm, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a quart with your name on it - see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are sour! (Not that it's slowing us down...)

    ReplyDelete